In 1753, Friedrich II founded the colonist village of Friedrichshagen. Cotton spinners from Bohemia and Silesia lived there in their clay half-timbered houses. Around 1840, Friedrichshagen was included as a stop on the Märkische Eisenbahn. Due to this connection, Friedrichshagen developed into a villa suburb and a popular destination in the 19th century. This resulted in other tourist destinations such as beer gardens, cafés, hotels and bathing areas.
In 1889, a waterworks was built to supply the district in the style of a neo-Gothic monastery.
The waterworks is only used publicly to a small extent in the old buildings. In 1987, a waterworks museum was set up in one of the pumping machine houses, which can be visited by prior arrangement.
The entire company premises are under monument protection.
The center of Friedrichshagen is the promenade Bölschestrasse. With the brewery branded Berliner Bürgerbräu, this was a major focal point for tourists. The brewery was closed in 2010, used as a museum for a while and has unfortunately been empty for several years. The building is mostly listed as a monument.
On the market square in the center of Bölschestraße you will find the Christophoruskirche and a monument to Friedrich II.
The Spree Tunnel was built in 1927 to counteract the overloading of ferry traffic. It thus connects the parts of Köpenick and Friedrichshagen with each other via stairs for pedestrians and, to a limited extent, also for cyclists.
Friedrichshagen, Berlin, Germany Berlin Germany